Grosbeak and Vultures

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2013
      Greetings!

      A pair of Evening Grosbeaks have shown up at my feeders. This is the third year we've hosted them along with Black-headed Grosbeaks of which we have 2 pairs and an apparent spare male. I checked the dates on my photos from previous years and find the Evening Grosbeaks are pretty much on schedule for appearing here. The Black-headed Grosbeaks are enjoying the grape jelly on the oriole feeder as are the 2 female Bullock's Orioles who have shown up--a first ever appearance in my yard. So far we've not seen a male but there is a lot of oriole singing going on.

      Saw 3 Bobolink males at Lateral C late yesterday afternoon. We were able to enjoy watching one of the egrets feeding another that was on a nest. The one flew down three different times and then returned. We could see it feed the one on the middle of the top three nests.

      The water is up in the fields south of the big bridge and the Yellow-headed Blackbirds were out in force. We sat and watched them for some time and discovered what we think were two juveniles with them--very brown, one only had the yellow patch on the chest and the other had it on the head and chest. They both were trying to call but it was not as mature sounding a call as the adult male call.

      Much later on West White Swan Road about 3/4 mile from town we found 17 Turkey Vultures roosting in a tree next to the road. I was able to get lots of photos as they were not disturbed by traffic or even when I got out of the car.

      Linda King, the old rookie birder in White Swan