Great Gray Owl photos on BirdYak

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002

      Yesterday my wife, Chris, and I went to a location northeast of Walla Walla
      where Charlie Wright and Ryan Shaw found a Great Gray Owl with two owlets.
      This is the first documented nesting of Great Gray Owls in the Blue
      Mountains of Washington. We didn't find them yesterday so I went back this
      morning and found one adult and two owlets.

      Yesterday I did find several Green-tailed Towhees along Biscuit Ridge Road
      southeast of Dixee, which is north of Walla Walla.

      Two photos of the owls and one of the towhee are on the BirdYak website.

      The area along Biscuit Ridge Road going southeast, more or less, from Dixee
      is really beautiful. The road climbs revealing stunning vistas of the
      wheatlands to the north and west. The contrasting shades and textures on
      all of the hillsides are stunning.

      Denny
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *