Bob's & the Eastern King are back

  • kevinslucas
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16 7:32 PM
      Today's musical offering at Toppenish added Bob & the Eastern King.

      I watched an Eastern Kingbird singing from atop a willow along Toppenish Creek near the refuge headquarters, and caught Bob's act on the Lateral C stage -- a male Bobolink singing & chasing sparrows & Red-winged Blackbirds in a field. He put on a good show, spending most of the time in view, a nice change in his act.

      To get to a viewpoint for this Bobolink, drive south on Lateral C from Marion Drain Road. On the east side, at 1 mile there's a green pipe gate with a wheel. 0.15 miles past that is a small Russian Olive shrub/tree. From there look east into the field a hundred feet or so. I'll post some distant photos of the bird & of the gate on my website in the Yakima birds gallery.

      I didn't notice a female Bobolink there, but he did dive into one spot in the reeds several times. I also didn't check out other recently used Bobolink haunts.

      As always, accurate sighting information on this small population of Bobolinks is helpful. This year we plan to put cattle exclusion fencing around nest sites.

      Good birding,
      Kevin Lucas
      Yakima, WA

      http://kevinslucas.com/?q=category/image-galleries/yakima-birds