Baby bird rescue

  • akratty
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16 11:27 AM
      Hi, All.
      One of our PNWU med students found a baby bird in his yard yesterday. He was unable to locate the nest, and tried "surrogate nesting," but the bird got too cold, so Danny (the student) brought it inside and warmed it under a lamp. He has been feeding it with an eye dropper, and here is today's progress report:

      Mary,
      Thanks again for all your help with the bird (his name is Willie). I took this picture last evening, although since then his eyes have opened and he's probably grown 1/4 inch! He's a lot stronger too, he can hold himself up straight when he begs for food, and I saw him scratch himself with his beak under his wing, which he never would have done before – he was just thrashing around aimlessly. That's all the progress for now!

      I posted a photo he sent me here (under "Need Help Identifying These Birds," with apologies to Linda King for co-opting her space):

      If anyone has guesses what it is, or suggestions for rehab, they would be most welcome.
      Thanks,

      Mary Giovanini
      Yakima