Black Oystercatcher in Cowiche Canyon?!?!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2013

      I got an e-mail this afternoon from one of the Cascadian Pokies who was on
      a Pokies hike in Cowiche Canyon this morning who said at about 9:00 they
      saw a large, black bird with a straight bill that was bright orange. They
      identified it as a Black Oystercatcher! She said they saw it at fairly
      close range about 1/2-1 mile from the east end parking lot. It landed on a
      rock fairly close to them and five people saw it. I called to her this
      afternoon to get more details.

      There is one previous sighting of a Black Oystercatcher in Yakima County -
      on Jan. 8, 1947 one was found and picked up on the dam at Bumping Lake. It
      died two days later. (See Andy's book "The Birds of Yakima County, WA".)

      The wind has blown very hard the past three days so it is possible a bird
      such as an oystercatcher could be blown over the mountains. An Ancient
      Murrelet got to Yakima in Nov. 2011 the same way.

      Richard Repp, Kevin Lucas and I walked into Cowiche Canyon about 1 1/2
      miles this afternoon and didn't see the oystercatcher. It would behoove us
      to search the Naches and Yakima Rivers. If it is found, it will probably be
      in a rocky area along one of the rivers.

      Go get'um, Yakkers.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA