Owl news, etc.

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2013
      Greetings!
      Got up to Fort Simcoe today to check on the Great Horned Owl and found one, maybe two juveniles along in the nest. If there are two one of them is quite small. Sun was wrong for good photos.

      Have made 3 trips to check for activity around the nesting boxes and struck out all three times now. All were afternoon trips. Will try to get up there in the morning next week to see if that makes a difference.

      Lots of human activity up there in the park and a Civil War Re-inactment event next weekend. The owls handled it just fine last year in a nest in the same tree and am hoping for the same result this year.

      A Yellow-headed Blackbird was seen hanging with a small flock of Red-winged and Brewer's Blackbirds on Medicine Valley Road west of White Swan--the first one I've seen this far west in my 3 years of birding here.

      Western Kingbirds have made it to Coburn Road near White Swan along with a Yellow Warbler that gave me good views--no camera with me but had the iPad so was able to ID it as I watched it with the binocs.

      Linda King, the old rookie birder in White Swan