Lewis's Woodpecker nest boxes at Fort Simcoe

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2013

      This morning Joy McKinney, Kevin Lucas, AJ, a park employee, and I put up
      nine nest boxes for Lewis's Woodpeckers at Fort Simcoe. They are spread
      around the park and placed on oak trees. If you go out there, please report
      to me or BirdYak any activity you see at any of the boxes. I am concerned
      that starlings will beat the woodpeckers to the boxes.

      Kevin and I looked for birds after the work was done.

      Here is the list. Kevin may have come up with a few others:

      Lewis's Woodpecker 28
      Great Horned Owl (Kevin only)
      Northern Flicker 1
      Black-billed Magpie 2
      Common Raven 1
      Black-capped Chickadee 2
      White-breasted Nuthatch 1
      House Wren 2
      American Robin 5
      European Starling 16
      Yellow-rumped Warbler 6
      Spotted Towhee 1
      Song Sparrow 1
      Dark-eyed Junco 4
      Red-winged Blackbird 4
      Western Meadowlark 2

      Denny Granstrand

      * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com

      www.granstrand.net/gallery/

    • kevinslucas
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
        A few birds & notes to add to yesterday's sightings at Fort Simcoe --

        While installing boxes behind/east of the buildings I'd heard the House Wren singing loudly, along with warblers that sounded different from the many Yellow-rumped Warblers. Later we were able to see the House Wren, but I didn't see any other species of warbler. Joy also got to see the Great Horned Owl, & I heard that a young GHOW has been seen near the headquarters.

        Additional birds, just outside the park, before I arrived to work:
        American Kestrel
        Red-tailed Hawk

        & in the park:
        California Quail
        Western Scrub-Jay
        Killdeer
        Mourning Doves
        American Crow
        Red-breasted Nuthatch
        Bewick's Wrens
        Ruby-crowned Kinglets
        House Finches
        and swallows that I didn't try to identify.

        Kevin Lucas
        Yakima, WA