Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 9:34 PM
      Hey everyone,
      I just wanted to report a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that I found at my house this evening. Andy & Ellen, Denny, and Kerry raced down to see it this evening, unfortunately Andy and Ellen were the only two with any success. I'm planning on leading a trip tomorrow morning at 7:30 or 8:00 (either time works for me, show up whenever you can) for the Sapsucker as well as birds like Pelicans, Northern Rough-winged Swallow (who came back today), and many other specialties of my yard area. I can help you out between 7:00 am and 1:00 pm tomorrow, so I'm pretty flexible (I know some of you probably won't get this until tomorrow morning so this gives you a chance to come by later). It drilled sap wells in a birch tree in my backyard and Andy thinks that it will revisit the wells tomorrow morning. It stayed in the same tree for about an hour this evening so we may have a good window in which to view it. If confirmed, this will be the 11th WA state record I believe, so its definitely worth the trip! If you can't make it by 1:00, then I can try and arrange something with you to stop by this weekend sometime. I'm pretty sure Kevin is going so carpooling should be a possibility.

      Thanks! Hope to see some of you tomorrow, Eric