Great Horned owl visit

  • nightowl_one1
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2013
      I find this whole e mail thing very confusing! I joined before (now
      it says I wasn't a member when I tried to post something), had messages
      sent to a Hotmail address (chbirdlady1@...) & got the notices.
      When I tried to post, it said I wasn't a member! Oh well; so we start
      again. I read the rules; looked up BirdChat on Bing but not sure what
      the group info referred to (specific site?). Can someone enlighten me?
      I tend to be too chatty, probably, for BirdYak & am afraid you'd kick me
      off for my bird stories. Just in case, I would like to share a
      "hearing" (sorry, at 1 a.m. in a 30 ft. evergreen, no "sighting") Easter
      night (technically Mon. 1 a.m.).
      I was sitting at the table doing paperwork & thought I heard an owl
      hoot. I think I've heard screech owls out front, off in the distance
      before, but this was close. I listened again, & yes, it was a great
      horned owl, hooting just beyond my back fence in a neighbor's tree. I
      went down to the open back door to listen & swoon (after all, I am the
      Owllady). It was wonderful to hear him. Then I noticed an answer,
      coming from maybe 2 mi. away, toward Butterfield Rd. way (I live in
      Terraced Estates), faintly calling back. I listened to them for about
      15 min. before I got frozen out & went back in. I have never heard a gh
      owl up here before & I was hoping he'd stick around.
      A comment on the toe length mentioned earlier on a Sharp Shinned
      hawk; I got one that died, & after the comment, went to check her toes
      (frozen specimen); her middle toe WAS much longer than the others,
      though the posted one might have exceeded normal. Probably makes for an
      effective puncture to a mouse gut.

    • Connie Hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2013
        Yahoo has been undergoing improvements (we hope that's how it turns out!)
        & as a result, some things have become more confusing.  I had the BirdYak thru Yahoo, so decided to open an e mail there too. I had 1 before, but they deleted me, because I hadn't used it in 6 mo. or something, so had to
        start over; so I send myself an e mail now & then to keep it open!
        Last night my owl friend was quite busy hooting from 2:30-3 a.m.  I'm
        delighted to have some bird other than all the house finches, sparrows
        etc. that usually frequent my feeders.  Even though I can't see him, I
        love owls.  I am a licensed bird rehabilitator & listed in the Crier. I've been missing meetings; just forgot!  I have been a member for 26 yr. & am too much of a night owl to go birding much anymore; the trips are too early & I'm not motivated to go out on my own anymore.  Have had health issues &
        just not that much energy left for going out.  I agree; I wish people
        would post their real names, as I wonder who some are too.  I didn't think about it.  I just figured everyone knew who I was (have been around so long!).  I was the social chairman for 18 yr.  Burned out.
          Connie Hughes
        p.s. even had trouble figuring out how to reply; tried to reply to Kevin but that didn't work; so posted to groups.  Will I ever figure out e mail programs??