rufous hummingbird

  • teresalorenz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
      I saw a post from last week from someone inquiring about the best time to set out hummer feeders in west Yakima. I had my first rufous male on Sunday at my feeder west of Naches (at Windy Point on US Hwy 12).
      Teresa
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
        1 April is very early, indeed! Anybody in birdyakland have a sighting of this species even remotely approaching this here?

        I saw a post from last week from someone inquiring about the best time to set out hummer feeders in west Yakima. I had my first rufous male on Sunday at my feeder west of Naches (at Windy Point on US Hwy 12).
        Teresa

      • Michael Roper
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
          Tom Lamb of Dixie WA has always said not to come to his house before May 1 because the hummingbirds won't be there yet so I've always used that as a rule of thumb. Anytime after that in May there are hundreds of them at his house.
          Mike

        • Rich712@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
            Chirp,

            I looked at data in "explore" eBird. A Rufous has also been reported in the Cle Elum area on March 31 and April 1 of this year (same person/location). Flipping over to eBird line graphs for Yakima County Rufous, this species has been reported on one out of 292 lists submitted in the seven days starting with March 22. Perhaps this is Teresa's submission if eBird updates that quickly which seems a bit unlikely. The next Yakima Rufous pop up on the week of April 15 with 3 reports on 178 lists. On the week of April 22, 7 reports on 213 lists. All this depends on my mathematical and chart reading abilities.

            Also bear in mind, that prior to last year, eBird was just slogging along at a lukewarm acceptance/usage rate. This year, Yakima County birders are hammering in lists/data left and right. But there is still room for plenty of improvement. Any Yakkers that are not using eBird might want to start. It's fairly easy, most seem to enjoy it and it generates useful information with each and every list submitted.

            Befuddled Birder by 3700 Boonie Boon

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23, 2013
              I'm excited to announce that my first hummer arrived today here in West
              Yakima, the Ahtanum area. I've been seeing emails from everyone announcing
              the hummers in their yards and eagerly awaiting some activity at my feeders.
              I'm thrilled!

              Regards,

              Gina

              _____