McNary/Walla Walla River Delta field trip March 16th

  • Luke Safford
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hey all,

      Looking forward to a great field trip down to the Tri-Cities next Saturday.
      We will start the trip by birding McNary Wildlife Refuge then head down to
      the Walla Walla River delta. Waterfowl will be our main targets including
      Snow and Greater White-fronted Geese and Canvasbacks. Gulls will be
      especially looked for at the delta, including a recently seen Glaucous
      Gull. Depending on how much time we have after the Walla Walla River delta,
      we will drive over to Bateman Island/Yakima River delta where we will look
      for more waterfowl, gulls, passerines, and possibly some shorebirds.
      Greater Yellowlegs and Dunlin are possible here.

      Plan on meeting at the Sears Parking lot near the old IHOP building and
      leaving at 7am. We will most likely be back around 7:30pm. Bring some lunch
      and anything else you might want/need while out birding for the day. We'll
      probably stop somewhere in Richland on the way back to pick up something to
      eat.

      If you are planning on going let me know so that I can figure out how many
      rigs we'll need to take. If you can drive let me know as well. I just found
      out that my wife is using our Suburban so I'm down to my old Ford
      Taurus--it doesn't hold as many people.

      We should see upwards of 75 species. Hope to see you next Saturday at 7am!

      Luke Safford