Re: Swans

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
      To me that is a pretty amazing number for Yakima County. Isn't that some sort of record?
      Mike Ropet

      On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:02 PM, "kevinslucas" <vikingcove@...> wrote:

      > The other day when I made the same circuit I was hearing loads of swans from Tule Road. On the way back down I saw the same spectacle. I did stop off the road & glassed the scene. I don't recommend it. I estimated over 200 swans visible. Virtually all the ponds I could see had swans, and I know of many ponds that I couldn't see from there. I yearned for an aerial view.
      > Kevin Lucas
      > Yakima, WA
      >
      > --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raptornut@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I went up the grade towards Goldendale past the Toppenish Refuge to locate Sage Sparrows which I located on my 1st stop. One responded to a call and sang to me from 30 feet away for over 3 min..
      >>
      >> On the way down I couldn't help but notice well over 100 white figures in the water of the refuge. It was so clear that just about all the water of the refuge was visible. A much different perspective than viewing one pond at a time from the same level. If I'm assuming is correct that they were all swans and we have been under counting them. I'm sorry I didn't have time to stop and get an accurate count with a scope.
      >> Mike Roper

    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
        Hi Mike and Yakkers,

        Last week, I had 98 swans just on the pool along Old Goldendale Road. The
        numbers certainly are impressive this year.

        Jeff Kozma

        Yakima (Terrace Heights)

        To me that is a pretty amazing number for Yakima County. Isn't that some
        sort of record?
        Mike Ropet

        On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:02 PM, "kevinslucas" <vikingcove@...> wrote:

        > The other day when I made the same circuit I was hearing loads of swans
        from Tule Road. On the way back down I saw the same spectacle. I did stop
        off the road & glassed the scene. I don't recommend it. I estimated over
        200 swans visible. Virtually all the ponds I could see had swans, and I
        know of many ponds that I couldn't see from there. I yearned for an aerial
        view.
        > Kevin Lucas
        > Yakima, WA
        >
        > --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raptornut@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I went up the grade towards Goldendale past the Toppenish Refuge to
        locate Sage Sparrows which I located on my 1st stop. One responded to a
        call and sang to me from 30 feet away for over 3 min..

        >> On the way down I couldn't help but notice well over 100 white figures
        in the water of the refuge. It was so clear that just about all the water
        of the refuge was visible. A much different perspective than viewing one
        pond at a time from the same level. If I'm assuming is correct that they
        were all swans and we have been under counting them. I'm sorry I didn't
        have time to stop and get an accurate count with a scope.
        >> Mike Roper

      • kevinslucas
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
          It was indeed an amazing sight. I checked eBird last night & found the Yakima County high species counts:

          http://ebird.org/ebird/sightings?locInfo.regionCode=US-WA-077&continuous=true&listType=high_count&locInfo.regionType=subnational2

          Kerry Turley reported 180 Tundra Swans & 6 Trumpeter Swans on 75 acres at Zimmerman's Ponds on March 14, 2010. The next day Richard Repp reported 30 Tundras & 1 Trumpeter. They come and they go.

          There still were many at Lateral C yesterday. I didn't observe elsewhere. The weather is great. Who has an airplane?

          (My post last night seems to have gone to the ether -- I apologize if this is a duplicate.)

          Kevin Lucas
          Yakima, WA

          --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raptornut@...> wrote:

          > To me that is a pretty amazing number for Yakima County. Isn't that some sort of record?
          > Mike Ropet
          >
          > On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:02 PM, "kevinslucas" <vikingcove@...> wrote:
          >
          > > The other day when I made the same circuit I was hearing loads of swans from Tule Road. On the way back down I saw the same spectacle. I did stop off the road & glassed the scene. I don't recommend it. I estimated over 200 swans visible. Virtually all the ponds I could see had swans, and I know of many ponds that I couldn't see from there. I yearned for an aerial view.
          > > Kevin Lucas
          > > Yakima, WA
          > >
          > > --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raptornut@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> I went up the grade towards Goldendale past the Toppenish Refuge to locate Sage Sparrows which I located on my 1st stop. One responded to a call and sang to me from 30 feet away for over 3 min..
          > >>
          > >> On the way down I couldn't help but notice well over 100 white figures in the water of the refuge. It was so clear that just about all the water of the refuge was visible. A much different perspective than viewing one pond at a time from the same level. If I'm assuming is correct that they were all swans and we have been under counting them. I'm sorry I didn't have time to stop and get an accurate count with a scope.
          > >> Mike Roper

        • Scott Downes
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
            Last weekend there was a group of 18 Tundra Swans on Zimmermann ponds viewed from Marion Drain and in a walk into HQs could hear many swans in the ponds out behind the HQ building in addition to swans elsewhere.

            As for high counts-- it is good to submit such records to WOS and NA Birds as they keep such records. This is all rare species and high counts for the state.

            Email addresses for them are:
            Brad Wagoneer for NA Birds:wagtail@...
            Ryan Merrill for WOS: rjm284@...

            Scott Downes
            downess@...
            Yakima WA

            It was indeed an amazing sight. I checked eBird last night & found the Yakima County high species counts:

            http://ebird.org/ebird/sightings?locInfo.regionCode=US-WA-077&continuous=true&listType=high_count&locInfo.regionType=subnational2

            Kerry Turley reported 180 Tundra Swans & 6 Trumpeter Swans on 75 acres at Zimmerman's Ponds on March 14, 2010. The next day Richard Repp reported 30 Tundras & 1 Trumpeter. They come and they go.

            There still were many at Lateral C yesterday. I didn't observe elsewhere. The weather is great. Who has an airplane?

            (My post last night seems to have gone to the ether -- I apologize if this is a duplicate.)

            Kevin Lucas
            Yakima, WA

            --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raptornut@...> wrote:

            > To me that is a pretty amazing number for Yakima County. Isn't that some sort of record?
            > Mike Ropet
            >
            > On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:02 PM, "kevinslucas" <vikingcove@...> wrote:
            >
            > > The other day when I made the same circuit I was hearing loads of swans from Tule Road. On the way back down I saw the same spectacle. I did stop off the road & glassed the scene. I don't recommend it. I estimated over 200 swans visible. Virtually all the ponds I could see had swans, and I know of many ponds that I couldn't see from there. I yearned for an aerial view.
            > > Kevin Lucas
            > > Yakima, WA
            > >
            > > --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raptornut@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I went up the grade towards Goldendale past the Toppenish Refuge to locate Sage Sparrows which I located on my 1st stop. One responded to a call and sang to me from 30 feet away for over 3 min..
            > >>
            > >> On the way down I couldn't help but notice well over 100 white figures in the water of the refuge. It was so clear that just about all the water of the refuge was visible. A much different perspective than viewing one pond at a time from the same level. If I'm assuming is correct that they were all swans and we have been under counting them. I'm sorry I didn't have time to stop and get an accurate count with a scope.
            > >> Mike Roper

          • gadzooks58
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
              Joe and I were also up on Tule Rd. Monday, and from the ridge we also saw a large number of swans. We would agree that there were at least 100, possibly more, but counting them from a moving car is not practical, and neither is parking on Hwy 97, so we did some exploring down at Refuge HQ. Unfortunately most of the swans were within a closed area and we were not able to count them (or even see them), but we did hear them. Quite an impressive sound.

              Later that same day, we stopped on Marion Drain to view the Zimmerman Ponds and found a small number of swans, but nothing noteworthy.

              Karen Zook