Re: [BirdYak] YRWs

  • Alex Conley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
      Paul, I saw a flock of yellow rumps at our house about a week earlier than
      your post and was wondering if they were locally wintering birds or an
      unusually early harbinger of spring. So maybe you're seeing things- but
      you've got company... Curious how many of us there are having the same
      visions.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
        Yellow-rumped Warblers do spend the winter in south-central Washington, concentrated in orchards with unpicked fruit. This fruit provides survival food on the coldest daysn when insects become unavailable. On balmier days, tiny insects fly, even in winter, and these and dormant bugs in bark crevices are important foods in providing protein, relished by most warblers.