RE: [BirdYak] My lucky day...(and the mating bluebirds as well)

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
      Yakkers,

      As Rich pointed out nicely, it is very common for many birds to mate
      frequently even well before eggs are expected, with the female storing
      sperm until she is ready to lay eggs. It is one of many ways in which
      pairs bonds are established and maintained. For example, White-headed
      Woodpeckers mate frequently prior to egg laying, with mating frequency
      being most pronounced during cavity excavation. I have followed many WHWO
      during the breeding season and during cavity excavation, even if the pair
      aren�t together, they usually meet up throughout the day many times to
      mate. It seems as if the female solicits these encounters because she is
      the one who often calls softly to the male, flys to a horizontal branch and
      positions herself for mating while advertising to the male with different
      calls and sometimes even wing fluttering. This all occurs even before
      cavity excavation is completed so I know they won�t be laying eggs for a
      while. Once the eggs are laid, mating ceases and the pair bonds are
      maintained through the activities associated with nesting and rearing of
      the youngsters.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima