RE: [BirdYak] Unusual Swan

  • yakthrasher
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
      Last Saturday I saw a Tundra Swan with quite a bit of yellow on the bill
      among this group. It also gave me pause, but I believe it was just
      within the variation of Tundra as generally Bewick's tend to have
      extensive yellow (approaching what a Whooper would have). Hard to say if
      the swan I saw and Jeff's swan are the same bird. Whooper swan should be
      structurally similar to Trumpeter while Bewick's is a form of Tundra.
      Certainly agree with Jeff that the number of swans present is impressive
      for the area.

      Scott

      Scott Downes
      downess@...
      Yakima WA

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM, kozma.jeff wrote:

      I was out at Toppenish NWR at lunch today and there is a very large
      gathering of swans in the main pool along Old Goldendale Road. The
      majority of the 98 swans I counted were Tundra with a few Trumpeters
      mixed in. One swan however stood out with a large amount of yellow on
      the upper bill reminiscent of a "Bewick's Swan". It was at the far back
      of the main pool and I didn't have a scope. The heads and necks on a
      many of the swans were also stained orange/brown from feeding in iron
      rich soils...as was the swan with the yellow bill. Thus, at times I
      wasn't sure if I was see just largely orangish feathers on the face or
      infact a large patch of yellow depending on the light. I don't think it
      was as yellow as what a Whooper Swan would be, but I am not entirely
      sure. If anyone is out that way, maybe they can "scope out" these
      swans. Never-the-less, the gathering was quite impressive especially
      when they all start vocalizing.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima (Terrace Heights)

      <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com')>