Unusual Swan

  • kozma.jeff
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
      I was out at Toppenish NWR at lunch today and there is a very large gathering of swans in the main pool along Old Goldendale Road. The majority of the 98 swans I counted were Tundra with a few Trumpeters mixed in. One swan however stood out with a large amount of yellow on the upper bill reminiscent of a "Bewick's Swan". It was at the far back of the main pool and I didn't have a scope. The heads and necks on a many of the swans were also stained orange/brown from feeding in iron rich soils...as was the swan with the yellow bill. Thus, at times I wasn't sure if I was see just largely orangish feathers on the face or infact a large patch of yellow depending on the light. I don't think it was as yellow as what a Whooper Swan would be, but I am not entirely sure. If anyone is out that way, maybe they can "scope out" these swans. Never-the-less, the gathering was quite impressive especially when they all start vocalizing.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima (Terrace Heights)
    • yakthrasher
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
        Last Saturday I saw a Tundra Swan with quite a bit of yellow on the bill
        among this group. It also gave me pause, but I believe it was just
        within the variation of Tundra as generally Bewick's tend to have
        extensive yellow (approaching what a Whooper would have). Hard to say if
        the swan I saw and Jeff's swan are the same bird. Whooper swan should be
        structurally similar to Trumpeter while Bewick's is a form of Tundra.
        Certainly agree with Jeff that the number of swans present is impressive
        for the area.

        Scott

        Scott Downes
        downess@...