YRWs

  • Paul Huffman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2013
      Suddenly, for the first time this year, there was a group of yellow rumped warblers along the brushy stream that flows into the Naches after flowing through Suntides. I'm not done with all my winter stuff.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Paul Huffman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
        I haven't seen any yellow rumped warblers since those early birds on
        2/26. Some folks must be wondering if I was seeing things.
      • Alex Conley
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
          Paul, I saw a flock of yellow rumps at our house about a week earlier than
          your post and was wondering if they were locally wintering birds or an
          unusually early harbinger of spring. So maybe you're seeing things- but
          you've got company... Curious how many of us there are having the same
          visions.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2013
            Yellow-rumped Warblers do spend the winter in south-central Washington, concentrated in orchards with unpicked fruit. This fruit provides survival food on the coldest daysn when insects become unavailable. On balmier days, tiny insects fly, even in winter, and these and dormant bugs in bark crevices are important foods in providing protein, relished by most warblers.