Our interesting yard bird - Red Crossbills

  • gadzooks58
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2013
      We have a very "finchy" yard bird list: Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, House and Cassin's finches are regular visitors. But we were still surprised in January when we first spotted Red Crossbills in our yard. Yesterday was the fourth time this year, and the third time in a week that we have seen them here. They do not visit the feeders, but fly in, congregate in our large maple tree, take turns visiting our fountain, then leave. We had company recently and were hanging around the house more, which makes us think that perhaps they have been visiting more often (in the past month)and we have just missed them. At any rate, this is a good case for keeping a year-round water feature going for the birds. You just never know who might show up for a drink or a bath.

      Joe and Karen Zook