Chestnut-backed Chickadees

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hey all,
      Today I went down to the river below my house around 8:30 to get an early start on my February yard list. I ended up getting an Orange-crowned Warbler in the orchards, a Greater Yellowlegs was in the river, and a yard bird Brown Creeper was calling from the trees on the left side of Barnhill Rd. From there, I went up towards White Pass gradually. Along the way on the freeway, there was a Dunlin that flew right next to my window giving me a fantastic look at it. Also, I've noticed that quite a Lesser Scaup on the freeway ponds on both sides of the freeway. We stopped at Bear Canyon on the way up which had two Bushtits calling from the west side of the parking lot. We stopped at a pullout just before Rimrock Retreat looking for a Northern Pygmy-Owl (my target bird for this year). It wasn't there, but there were two American Dippers there. By the way if anyone knows of good places for Pygmy-Owls in Eastern WA, please inform me where I could find them. Help would be appreciated. We then stopped at Clear Lake which had nothing exciting except for Hooded Mergansers. Finally we made it up to White Pass, which had a possible Red Crossbill in the parking lot, I just can't figure out what the call I heard was. I went skiing with my binoculars today which seriously payed off. At the intersection of the Deer Creek loop and the Lake loop, there was a group of around 20 Chestnut-backed Chickadees and 5 or 6 Brown Creepers. I kept skiing and found another flock of 10 or 15 Chestnut-backed Chickadees on the Dog Lake loop. I rushed back to our car to grab my camera and returned to the first flock. These birds are extremely photogenic, the hard thing is getting them to stop moving around in the Cedars. I got some pretty good photos which are on my flickr page, here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdfishphotos/
      If you're interested in the Chickadees, its very easy to find them (they call constantly) if you use snowshoes. I heard one in the parking lot as we were leaving as well if you aren't that adventurous.

      Thanks, Eric