Dcelining Subalpine biodiversity tonight at Living Care-7 pm.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
      Yakkers,

      Cascadians are presenting Teresa Lorenz who will speaking on subalpine
      ecology with a program "Preserving Biodiversity in an Endangered Subalpine
      Ecosystem." The program is Free, and at 215 N. 40th Ave. in the main
      auditorium.Teresa will discuss the disease and decline of whitebark pines,
      an important cornerstone species in this ecosystem. Clark's Nutcrackers are
      tied to this tree and have formed a critically important mutualistic
      dependency on it. EBird data reveal but one sighting of the nutcracker in
      Yakima County so far this year. We can hope the bulk of the population of
      this species has wandered to other parts of their range, due to lack of a
      cone crop and will return in spring. Or, is this data a signal the
      nutcracker hereabouts is in very serious trouble?

    • Paul Huffman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
        I was surprised to see a nutcracker at White Pass a couple of weeks ago.
        Sure don't see them often.

        On 1/30/2013 7:00 AM, Andy Stepniewski wrote:

        > Yakkers,
        >
        > Cascadians are presenting Teresa Lorenz who will speaking on subalpine
        > ecology with a program "Preserving Biodiversity in an Endangered
        > Subalpine
        > Ecosystem." The program is Free, and at 215 N. 40th Ave. in the main
        > auditorium.Teresa will discuss the disease and decline of whitebark
        > pines,
        > an important cornerstone species in this ecosystem. Clark's
        > Nutcrackers are
        > tied to this tree and have formed a critically important mutualistic
        > dependency on it. EBird data reveal but one sighting of the nutcracker in
        > Yakima County so far this year. We can hope the bulk of the population of
        > this species has wandered to other parts of their range, due to lack of a
        > cone crop and will return in spring. Or, is this data a signal the
        > nutcracker hereabouts is in very serious trouble?
        >
        > Andy Stepniewski
        > Wapato WA
        > steppie@... <mailto:steppie%40nwinfo.net>

      • Scott Downes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
          I don't think we should use Ebird data in January for a species that is unusual below about 4000 ft in the Cascades. I would bet other winters have found similar or even less numbers of nutcrackers in January.

          Scott Downes
          Downess@...
          Yakima Wa

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Rich712@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013

            Scott D. wrote:

            I would bet other winters have found similar or even less numbers of nutcrackers in January.

            Well, would you believe that the Explore Data feature of eBird allows one to narrow the time frame on species searches. I logged on and selected winter records (Dec - Feb) for Clark's Nutcracker in Yakim County. Only six records since 1900:

            01-13-2013 Leech Lake John H, one bird
            01-02-2012 Oak Creek Wildlife, Eric H. (x-denotes species observed, no count)
            12-24-1993 Edgar Rock, Andy S., two birds
            12-24-1989 Edgar Rock, Andy S., (x- no count)
            02-11-1989 ChinookPass Highway, Devil's Slide, Andy S., two birds
            12-25-1989 White Pass Highway, Andy S., (X- no count)

            Probably the biggest factor in the sparse records, lack of observers in the field at high elevations especially in winter AND the relative new popularity of eBird. But it does demonstrate eBird does have a great future if more people would participate.

            But check out that one observation was on Christmas Day, two on Christmas Eve, and another the day after New Year's Day. Up high and in the likely cold and snow. That's more dedication than an old codger like me can muster.

            Befuddled Birder at 3700 Bonnie Boon

            .

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
              Thanks Rich,

              I agree with you totally. I'd love to see more birders embrace eBird for the very reasons you outline here. That's why I'm laboring (ever so slowly) at entering my old records into this database.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
                Hi Guys,

                I saw a CLNU at White Pass on March 4 last year, which was not
                included in Richard's list. Its the same reason we don't find Boreal
                Owls during the snowy months - you can't see what you can't get to.

                Denny

                On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Andy Stepniewski <steppie@...> wrote:
                > Thanks Rich,
                >
                > I agree with you totally. I'd love to see more birders embrace eBird for the very reasons you outline here. That's why I'm laboring (ever so slowly) at entering my old records into this database.
                >
                > Andy Stepniewski
                > Wapato WA
                > steppie@...

                Denny Granstrand