[BirdYak] Shorebird update and then some

  • Bob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hello Eric et al,

      I purchased this inexpensive scope before Christmas as I thought I would
      like a scope that would zoom to 60X.

      Product Name Quantity Price Total

      Vortex Nomad 20-60x60 Angled Spotting Scope (New) 1 $239.99
      $239.99

      Merchandise Total: $239.99

      Shipping & Handling: $13.03

      Shipping Savings: $-13.03

      Sales Tax: $0.00

      Grand Total: $239.99

      Applied Coupons: FREE-GROUND-SHIPPING

      Thank you for choosing Eagle Optics!

      800-289-1132

      http://www.eagleoptics.com

      Eagle Optics - Confirmation

      However I have already noticed that it is not as bright as my other
      inexpensive scope Eagle Optics Denali 15-45x60 which I paid about $100 about
      5 years ago (but no longer available).

      <http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-optics-spotting-scopes-denali.html>
      http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-optics-spotting-scopes-denali.html

      I actually really like that little Denai scope and had Eagle Optics rebuild
      it for free when it went out of focus about 3 years ago. The verdict is
      still out on the Vortex. I share these "minimalist" scope experiences
      because I still think they are a step up from an entry level "throw away"
      discount store scope (of which I have thrown several early in my career).
      Also to make them more usable I have each on a medium weight $200 tripod.
      What I like about these is that I don't worry much about leaving them in
      the open in my Subaru during lunch or other short breaks or in my Thule Box
      for weeks. Therefore I often have them when I see a hawk or something
      incidentally while driving around. And in good light they really work OK.
      And both setups are both light to carry so sometimes I am the only one with
      a scope on a walk. Finally if you are not in a huge hurry you could look
      through my scopes when I come over in a few weeks.

      All that said I am saving for a good scope but am not convinced there are a
      lot of options and added value between a couple hundred and thousands of
      dollars. I will be interested in what others have to say.

      Bob Schmidt, Bothell, WA

      bobs at world hyphen wide dot com