Horse Heaven Hills tomorrow-January 12

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013
      I'm planning a trip up to the Horse Heaven Hills south of Mabton Saturday
      Jan. 12. Meet 8 am at the old IHOP location, south of Sears on Valley Mall.
      Since IHOP was torn down this week, it's the parking area west of the tree
      row there. Dress for arctic weather! Lunch and drinks needed. Regular birds
      up there in winter are Rough-legged Hawk, Prairie Falcon, Gray Partridge,
      swarms of Horned Larks (local "yellow" birds and white arctic birds), and
      Northern Shrike. We especially look for "arctic" specialties such as Lapland
      Longspur, Snow Bunting, Gyrfalcon, and Snowy Owl, rare this far south but
      possible. I plan to stay out til dusk, hoping for more owls. Back to IHOP by
      5:30 pm.