Re: Dark-phase Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk at J. M. Perry; another California Gull

  • kevinslucas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2013
      April & Yakkers,
      Mary & I tried to find the hawk April described, and we, as Jeff K says, dipped. There was a "regular" Red-tailed Hawk perched there. Since then, driving by, I've looked for a "different" hawk, but only seen various "regular" ones. Today I gave it another shot, and sure enough, the Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk that Denny photographed was there. It was looking about, and after a few minutes flew to the ground in the airport. Another Red-tailed took its perch. I'd taken some photos of the Harlan's, including some in-flight. The flight photo isn't as nice as Denny's, but shows the barred outer primary flight feathers, one of the distinguishing field marks of a Harlan's. It's on my website in the Yakima birds gallery. It's nice to have it not in the "Identification help wanted" gallery. Congrats to April for finding that bird. It's beautiful, worth getting a first hand view. It didn't seem disturbed by me on the gravel path/sidewalk right next to the road.

      And I saw another, different, California Gull on Myron Lake yesterday. A photo of it is in the same "Yakima birds" folder.

      Kevin Lucas
      Yakima, WA

      http://kevinslucas.com/?q=category/image-galleries/yakima-birds