White-winged Crossbill

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hey all,
      I went up to White Pass today and stopped by Oak Creek on the way up. Oak Creek had the usual Steller's Jays, Bald Eagles, and Lewis's Woodpeckers. One interesting bird there was what I believe to have been a female Harlequin Duck that flew upstream from just below the bridge. I'm not willing to call it though since the looks I got were just from it flying away. I did see what looked like a rounded head with some white by the base of the bill and on the belly. It was all brown and about the size of a Mallard, maybe a little smaller. The only other duck that could of looked remotely like it would be a female Hooded Merganser, but I don't know what one of those would be doing in a half frozen river in the middle of winter.

      Up at White Pass there was a White-winged Crossbill noisily calling from the top of a fir tree. I couldn't get a good look at it because I didn't have binoculars with me but it had a very significant call. There was also a single Mountain Chickadee and a single Gray Jay.

      Any thoughts on the duck would be appreciated.
      Thanks!
      Eric