Wildlife Refuge

  • Eric Heisey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hey all,
      Just wanted to give a recap on my trip to the Wildlife Refuge today around 3:00 p.m. which was surprisingly productive considering how late I got there. On the way in, there were three Western Meadowlarks perched on the telephone wire just after that pull off before you get to the group of ponds. The ponds themselves only held about 50 American Coots. We drove out towards Lateral C on Pumphouse Rd. which had one highlight (a Bald Eagle perched next to one of numerous Red-tailed Hawks in a tree near Old Goldendale Rd). At Lateral C there was a Marsh Wren, a Varied Thrush called from the south side of the road, there was a Brown-headed Cowbird in a field with several hundred Robins, two Golden-crowned Kinglets were just over the the first bridge, a gorgeous Short-eared Owl flew over the road close to Marion Drain, and many Harriers scared up White-crowned Sparrows and California Quail. We drove back along Marrion Drain with had flocks of both Brewer's and Red-winged Blackbirds, a flock of over 30 Ring-necked Pheasants which seemed odd, a Juvenile Rough-legged Hawk, two Great-blue Herons, and a Merlin. Old Goldendale Rd had nothing but more Red-winged an Brewer's Blackbirds. Back on Pumphouse there was a flock of over 20 Common Redpolls that flew up after a truck passed by! I missed the Swamp Sparrow but got some other birds that last year I didn't get until very late in the year! I'm on a good start, with 60 species in 4 days (even if 17 of them were in Arizona), and many days to come! I plan to add Lewis's Woodpecker on the way up to White Pass for skiing tomorrow (and some White-winged Crossbills maybe...? I can hope). If anybody does happen to find the Swamp Sparrow again, please notify me. For complete checklists go to these 3 links:

      Thanks!
      Eric