Feeder guests

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      Greetings!
      Have been feeding huge numbers of birds since the snow covered the ground out here in White Swan...new to my yard since then have been the previously reported Varied Thrush and all 3 still remain, a second Spotted Towhee which does not easily share territory with the other, a male Red-winged Blackbird that showed up to dine for a couple hours on Christmas Day but has not been seen since and as of yesterday a male Brown-headed Cowbird that I've not seen this morning. We have had several visits from a Cooper's Hawk and one fly-thru by a Northern Harrier.
      Last year the Eurasian-collared Doves stayed all winter but I have noticed they have been gone for about a week now. Wonder if anyone else has noticed that?
      The number of White-crowned Sparrows at my feeders is up over last year as are the Juncos, both the dark and the Oregon color morphs. This might be because I am feeding in my back yard farther from the house than last year.

      Happy New Year from Linda King, the old rookie birder in White Swan