Yakima Valley CBC results

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1 8:47 PM
      Hi Yakkers,

      We had 34 people on the Yakima Valley CBC on Dec. 29, the most
      participants we have ever had. We found 92 species, two forms and had
      five count week birds (birds that were seen in the three days before
      and after the count but not on count day). The record for this count
      is 95 in 2010. We found 23371 individual birds, which is the most
      since 2001.

      Twenty-two species recorded their highest totals ever, with Red-tailed
      Hawk being the most astounding increase. The 220 RTHAs seen were a 50%
      increase from the previous high of 145 found in 2010. The 358 Eurasian
      Collared-Doves seen show the fast population growth of this fairly
      recent addition to the Yakima County bird list. 121 were seen in 2011.
      The first ECDOs were seen in Yakima County in Moxee in January 2006.

      Red Crossbills were seen on the count for only the second time. Sixty
      were found by teams in four different routes, which shows they were
      wide-spread in the count circle.

      Fox Sparrows also showed a big increase from the previous high of 10
      in 2010 to 28 this year. My group even found a Fox Sparrow that had
      been hung on a barb wire fence and partially eaten by a Northern
      Shrike.

      I would like to thank everyone who participated to make this a very
      successful Christmas Bird Count.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA