Bohemian Waxwigs: 22nd Ave., - No; Fred Meyer - Yes

  • gadzooks58
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      After reading Richard's post, we decided to go and check out the Birch Trees on 22nd Ave. Our first trip there was about 12:30 PM. There were a few Waxwings in the Birch tree when we drove up, but soon after we parked on Tah-Kin Rd, they flew off as a group. We watched and listened as they flew away, and I know I heard the sounds of Cedar Waxwings, along with something else I wasn't familiar with - Bohemians? Well, we may never know, as the flock did not return. There were a few Cedar Waxwings in the tree along Tah-Kin Rd., along with a few Robins and some Varied Thrush, but not much else. We decided to go and check out Fred Meyer. As we pulled out, we noticed a Sharp-shinned hawk perched in the evergreens next to the Birch trees, and we knew why the flock had not returned.

      Fred Meyer brought much better luck. Three trees full of Waxwings! They were right where Scott reported them. We carefully scanned them and I wondered how in the heck I would spot a Bohemian amongst all of the Cedars. Fortunately, Joe found the first one, and it was sitting right next to a Cedar waxwing for a very nice comparison. We found a second and looked for more. We were there maybe 15 minutes and decided the light would be better from the Key Bank parking lot. About 5 minutes after we moved, the entire flock took off all at once. We didn't see another raptor, but perhaps that is what scared them off.

      We stopped at 22nd on the way home (about 2:00). We saw more Cedar waxwings, robins, Varied thrush and 2 Western Scrub jays, but no Bohemians. We found the Sharp-shinned hawk at the top of a tree near 21st and MacLaren, plucking a freshly caught bird.

      A nice way to end our first full year of birding in Yakima.

      Karen and Joe Zook