Prairie Merlin in our yard; CBC owl photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2012

      Yesterday a Prairie Merlin, the Great Plains subspecies of Merlin, was
      on the power pole in our backyard southwest of the Yakima airport. It
      is the second one we have had here. This subspecies of Merlin is very
      pale compared to the subspecies that nest in Washington.

      I have a folder on my web site of Merlin photos I have taken since
      2003 (http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/album84). Counting the one
      from yesterday, I have photos of nine Merlins, seven of them either in
      my yard or neighborhood. Four of them are Prairie Merlins, which are
      supposed to be fairly rare in Washington.

      A photo of the Merlin, a Barn Owl and Northern Saw-Whet Owl found on
      the Toppenish CBC, and a few recent photos from the arboretum are in
      the new photos folder on my website.

      This morning I drove up N. Wenas Rd. to the parking lot for the
      Umtanum Falls trail searching for redpolls but didn't see any. There
      were five or six Bald Eagles along the way. I also had a sighting of
      Kevin Lucas, who said he has just seen a Golden Eagle, which I missed.

      Wenas Lake is frozen so the bird list from there is pretty short. In
      fact, I didn't see any birds there.

      We have had an Anna's Hummingbird in our yard this fall. Richard saw
      it on Dec. 6, which was the last time it was seen. I am beginning to
      think it has either perished or departed, since the level of the sugar
      water in the feeder isn't dropping like it was several weeks ago. I
      must be spilling some when I hang the feeder and bring it in at night.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com