Tufted Duck at Priest Rapids today

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012

      Andy Stepniewski and I birded a small section of Priest Rapids this
      morning. Near the west end of the dam we found a first winter male
      Tufted Duck in a large flock of scaup. It was my first Tufted Duck in
      Yakima County! It seems to be the second Tufted Duck at Priest Rapids
      in one week. Michael Hobbs found one there last Saturday. He
      described his as having a full tuft, which would make it a mature
      adult.

      Other highlights included a Clark's Grebe and two Surf Scoters.

      Here is our list from Priest Rapids:

      Priest Rapids Lake (Yakima Co.), Yakima, US-WA
      Comments: Southwest corner of Priest Rapids Lake only.
      28 species

      Cackling Goose 2
      Canada Goose 100
      Gadwall 10
      Canvasback 2
      Redhead 5
      Ring-necked Duck 15
      Tufted Duck 1 Male. Small tuft so possibly a different bird than
      that observed by Michael Hobbs a week ago. Photo by Denny Granstrand.
      Greater Scaup 2000
      Lesser Scaup 560
      Surf Scoter 2 Female plumage. Dark colored diving duck with faint
      head spots. Faint orange in bills. Dark wings.
      Bufflehead 10
      Common Goldeneye 10
      Red-breasted Merganser 3 Female plumage mergansers with rusty
      neck. No sharp division between this area of rusty color and whitish
      breast. Bill shape consistent with Red-breasted.
      Ruddy Duck 3
      Common Loon 2
      Pied-billed Grebe 2
      Horned Grebe 4
      Western Grebe 10
      Clark's Grebe 1 Western Grebe in general appearance. Orange bill.
      Whitish around eye. Whitish flanks.
      Double-crested Cormorant 20
      Great Blue Heron 1
      American Coot 200
      Ring-billed Gull 2
      Rock Pigeon 2
      Black-billed Magpie 2
      Common Raven 3
      European Starling 3
      House Finch 2

      A photo of the Tufted Duck is in the new photos folder on my website.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com