Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Ellensburg

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002

      Phil Mattocks from Ellensburg called this morning to tell me there is a
      Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the feeders in his yard. His address and phone
      number:

      5421 Hanson Road
      962-2191

      I don't know where Hanson Road is. If the grosbeak is still there at 1:00
      (when I will be calling Phil) I will be going up.

      There are new photos of the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on the BirdYak website.
      And lots of other new photos, too.

      Denny
      * * * * * * * * * * *
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * osprey@... *
      * * * * * * * * * * *
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002

        This afternoon Richard Repp and I drove up to Ellensburg and saw the
        Rose-breasted Grosbeak at Phil Mattocks's house on Hanson Road west of
        Ellensburg. We found it about twenty minutes after we got to the house. It
        perched in a fir tree for a short time before dropping down onto the bird
        feeder where it provided nice views. It seems to be a first Spring male.
        Two photos of it are on the BirdYak website. It is the first one I have
        seen in Washington. Richard is an old hand with Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
        since he had one at his feeder four years ago.

        As we were leaving Phil's house, Richard said "that is the most real looking
        plastic owl I have ever seen". Sitting on the fence under a willow tree
        right beside the road was not a plastic owl but a Great Horned Owl. It flew
        into another willow away from the road and then onto an insulator on the
        side of a power pole beside the road. Its photo is on the BirdYak website,
        too, in the Raptor section.

        We came home through the Wenas where Richard got a brief look at a Least
        Flycatcher that we could hear calling constantly on Maloy Road, and we both
        got a close looks at a Gray Flycatcher and an Olive-sided Flycatcher further
        up Maloy in the pines and a Dusky Flycatcher on the way back on Maloy Road.
        We tried for Pacific-slope Flycatcher at the creek at the entrance to Hardy
        Canyon but did not find one. Patrick and Ruth Sullivan found an
        Ash-throated Flycatcher near the fence in Black Canyon this morning.

        Denny
        * Denny Granstrand *
        * Yakima, WA *
        * osprey@... *