White-throated Sparrow at Arboretum

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2012
      Chirp,

      Stopped at Sarg Hubbard park close to noon today. Walked to the south edge of the grassy knoll that overlooks the wetland. Mixed in with dozens of Canada Geese and American Coots were five Greater White-fronted Geese, one Cackling Goose and two Gadwall.

      I then trudged along Buchanan Lake in hopes of a scoter or two but drew a blank on those. Nice raft of Geese but not much else.

      I hung a right into the Arboretum and found a fresh layer of seed had been spread at the feeding station there. Settled my weary reary onto a stump and watched the sparrows for awhile. A Fox was one of the first I identified, then a second, third and fourth. Later, I tallied six Fox Sparrows in one sweep...that did not go unchallenged on my eBird list. Best bird was a tan-stripped White-throated Sparrow that flashed to the front and center well into my visit. House Sparrows put it on the run but I did have two great views. For some reason, my experience with these gems is that they do not linger to socialize. They have sort of a McDonald's drive through mentality, grab a quick coat of sesame seeds and then dash away from the glow of the golden arches.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boon.

    • Rich712@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2013
        Chirp,

        After this morning's YVAS birdwalk along the Poppoff, Elizabeth Bohn and I stopped by the bird blind at the Yakima Area Arboretum.  Shortly after refreshing the scattered seed, a White-throated Sparrow hopped into view front and center of the small brush pile.  Yellow lores were bright; the supercilium fairly dull so I suppose it  is a tan-striped variety.  White throat had two outer and two inner black lines.  Lots of House Sparrows and among the numerous Juncos was one Slate-colored.  At least two Fox Sparrow and two Spotted Towhees.  Nice variety for a fifteen minute stop.

        Befuddled Birder by 300 Bonnie Boon