Thursday morning walk--two new birds and a VG swallow?

  • Luke Safford
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
      I don't have all the totals together yet after our walk this morning but
      six of us had a great start to our morning. We had two brand new birds this
      year for the walk--Brown Creeper and Merlin. We also had one swallow fly
      over head, which I am pretty sure was a Violet-green Swallow based on body
      shape, as opposed to a Tree Swallow. Definitely white underneath, including
      throat, so not a Cliff, Barn, Bank, or Northern Rough-winged. Any thoughts
      on why this swallow would be around?

      Other notable bird species include Northern Shrike and Hermit Thrush. We
      had a total of 35 species up to the point that I had to leave. We were
      still missing Dark-eyed Junco and Great Blue Heron among some others so the
      total might be more. Any way you look at it, a great birdwalk with great
      people! Come join us next week at 8:30am at the Union Gap parking lot of
      the Greenway.

      Luke

    • Scott Downes
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
        Luke,
        Swallows, especially those more hardy species like violet-green and tree can linger into the fall, especially when warm days allow for some insects to be about. Both of these species do occassionally show up on CBCs in western Washington.

        Scott Downes
        downess@...
        Yakima WA

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
          All,

          I agree with Scott. The likely white-bellied swallow this late in fall is definetely Violet-green. Many Tree Swallows bail out south quite early hereabouts, actually. Many are on the move south by late July -early August. I've observed this migration of "early" southbound Tree Swallows on a number of occasions on high elevation shrub-steppe on the Yakima Training Center, a migration unseen to observers at low elevations in the Yakima Valley.

          Andy Stepniewski
          Wapato Wa