Red-breasted Sapsucker in the Wenas

  • kozma.jeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2012
      We were out in the Wenas off of Maloy Rd trying to capture White-headed Woodpeckers for banding and attaching transmitters for telemetry. We do this at water features. We didn't catch any White-headed Woodpeckers (although a young male came to the water but saw the mist-nets at the last minute and veered away), but we did catch a gorgeous Red-breasted Sapsucker. Paste the link below into your browser for a pic of this great bird in my photobucket album. The bird I believe is pure Red-breasted Sapsucker as there was no hint of black marks on the head to indicate Red-naped hybrid and the red extended all the way down the breast to the bright yellow belly. Quite a suprise! We also caught three Ruffed Grouse that, unknown to us, happened to be near the water when I walked up to remove the RBSA from the net. That was quite a sight seeing 3 heavy grouse hanging in the nets designed for songbirds!

      http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii167/kozmajm/Bird%20Shots/?action=view¤t=RBSA_3_zps6b92664b.jpg

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima (Terrace Heights)