Re: [BirdYak] Re: Kick the can, ban the gull

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2012
      Hey Moclips Surfer,

      The majority of big pink-legged gulls at this season on the outer WA coast are actually hybrid Glaucous-winged X Western Gulls. BTW, this hybrid was not dealt with in the Golden Guide (unless I'm missing a Iater edition). On the section of coast we birded (Leadbetter to Ocean Shores), I picked out exactly one adult Glaucous-winged and a few immatures. I believe I saw a couple adult Westerns. All the rest showed evidence of being hybrids.

      Californias are pretty easy at this time with lots of adults on the beach. A fair number of 1st-year birds, most quite dark brown. Ring-bills are only locally common such as at the Hoquiam STP. They're fairly straightforward. The juveniles are really pale. Bonaparte's are straightforward, too. Heermann's are perhaps the easiest of all.

      Hey, there are a lot of new guides out there dealing in a much better fashion with gulls than the Golden Guide. Check 'em out! National Geograpjic, Sibley, Kaufmann, and others. If you start with the big pink-legged ones and study the guides depiction of hybrids, then move to the smaller species. Give 'em a 2nd chance; gulls are not THAT bad!

      Andy Stepniewski
      Wapato Wa