California Condor photos on my website

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012

      Chris and I went to the Bay Area in California last week. I drove to
      Big Sur south of Monterey while she went north with her sisters.

      South of Big Sur I found some very accomodating California Condors. I
      was there two afternoons. The first time I saw 12-14 condors and the
      second afternoon I saw 6-8. What magnificent birds! In the area
      between Big Sur and Pinnacles National MOnument, 60 or so miles
      straight east of Big Sur, there are 64 condors. There is another
      population just north of Los Angeles and one north of the Grand Canyon
      NP. There are now over 200 California Condors in those there areas.

      On June 17 I was standing on a cliff with a small group of people
      watching the condors. Four or five of them were flying back and forth
      past the cliff, some of them within 20 feet of us! It was amazing!

      After leaving the condors I wandered around searching for Lawrence's
      Goldfinch and Yellow-billed Magpies. After long searches I found both
      species but it was hard work. But what are vacations for?

      Photos from the trip are in the new photos folder on my website. The
      link is in the signature line below.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA