Possible Great Horned Owl hatch

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2012
      Greetings!

      Decided it was time to take more than a passing glance at the Great Horned Owl nest near mile post 5 on Pumphouse Road, so I stopped and shot several photos. Got them on the computer and it appears there are two youngsters in the nest. Hope someone with a scope can get out there to get a better look than what I'm able to!

      Also checked the Red-tailed Hawk nest on Old Goldendale Road--this is just north of the 2 small bridges on the gravel portion of the road--and that nest is still in use with no sign of hatching yet. One can get a good view of it even with the leaves now on the tree.

      The Osprey nest on the platform at Lateral B and Marion Drain remains in use with both birds often giving really nice views.

      Out here in White Swan the Red-tailed Hawk nests I was watching have pretty much disappeared under leaf cover. Frustrating! However, I am keeping an eye on them with the thought of filming some first-flight action when the time comes.

      Linda, the old rookie birder in White Swan