Pelican and Curlew Sightings

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      Greetings!

      Went to see how the flooding has affected Toppenish Creek at Island Road and further east. Water was over the road on Lateral C in 2 locations north of the main bridge.

      However, from Pumphouse Road near the red farm buildings (just east of Island Road) we heard Long-billed Curlew calls and got a phone call later from the resident there who is a friend and had tipped me to their usual arrival around April 1 that a pair of them were up near the house.

      And, further east on Pumphouse (about a mile from where the pavement begins) we spotted 4 possibly 5 American White Pelicans on the water on the north side of the trees. We were looking through the trees and they were moving a bit so the count is an estimate. It was not possible to see them from any other accessible location.

      Checking out my photos when I got home I found what appears to be a Great Horned Owl perched in a tree in about the same location as the pelicans.

      I should also add that I have 2 sightings last week of a Northern Shrike about a half mile north of the main bridge on Lateral C.

      Linda, the old rookie birder at White Swan