Wood Ducks and Bob cat?

  • Kevin Black
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2012
      Sent from my iPhone

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Kevin Black <thesuperheroexcuse@...>
      > Date: March 17, 2012 11:53:02 AM PDT
      > To: Birdyak <BirdYak@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Wood Ducks etc...
      >
      > Hi All,
      >
      > My girlfriend lives in Yakima. I was up in Yakima visiting here yesterday. She wanted to feed the ducks at Terrace Heights Memorial Cemetery. There were 20 Wood Ducks in the pond! A handful of American Wigeon and two what I assume to be domesticated or captive Trumpeter Swans.
      >
      > We swung by Toppenish NWR; Pintails and 6 Tundra Swans; stopped at Fort Simcoe: Great Horned Owl sighted briefly in a tree near the barracks, flew away when we got closer to the barracks only heard afterwards. Also noted Spotted Towhees skulking around.
      >
      > Very interestingly what I identified to be a BOBCAT ran across the road coming back from Fort Simcoe very close to the Fort.
      >
      > It was obvious to me that it was a large cat. A bit larger than the size of a medium sized dog say a pit bull. I've seen numerous coyotes and it was not a coyote. It did not have larger ears, very small cat like ears. I saw the cat from a maximum of 20 feet away. Running similar to a cat with legs pulling back after gipping surface to touch hind legs. brief sighting maybe 3 seconds- very fast cat! What do you think?!?!
      >
      > Kevin
      > Richland, WA
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Linda King
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2012
        Greetings!
        Kevin I live in White Swan and bird at the Fort Simcoe about once a week. Thanks for the heads up on the cat--I don't doubt what you saw a Bobcat. I have seen tracks I believe would fit a Bobcat in some of the mud areas on the Fort grounds. They are known frequent the whole area out here though are not often seen. Same goes for Cougars.
        Nice to hear my friend the Great Horned Owl gave you a visual--it seems to like to hang in those front trees during the day. I have some very bad photos of it.
        Linda, the old rookie birder at White Swan