Birdathon

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      Yakkers,

      SECOND REQUEST

      The Yakima County Birdathon is fast approaching. It is May 11, and roughly
      coincides with the peak of diversity in birdlife in these parts. Team
      leaders and participants are needed! Please e-mail Andy Stepniewski
      (steppie@... or call 877-6639) to get on a team. Last year, this
      event netted a record 185 species. We can do it again with your help! It's
      fun, scheduled when birds are everywhere, and, it helps raise funds for the
      Yakima Valley Audubon Society.

      Thanks!

      Andy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2002

        With 6 of 12 teams reporting in, the Yakima County Big Day total on May 11
        now stands at 172 species! This is pretty darn good considering the
        perfectly lousy weather the Pacific Northwest has been experiencing this
        spring. The weather folks have termed it a "prevailing northwesterly flow."
        This results in many migrants being tardy in their appearance, evidently
        waiting out the cool weather to the south. Spring arrivals have thus been
        delayed.

        Countering this handicap has been a remarkable effort by our 12 teams,
        thoroughly canvassing the many habitats of Yakima County. A nice selection
        of the regularly expected species have been recorded thus far plus some real
        bonuses.

        So, this is, in addition to a preliminary announcement, also a plea for the
        remaining 6 leaders to get their tallies in, so I can come forth with final
        results.

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2002
          Yakkers,

          As of 9 pm May 12, I need only 4 teams to report in on the Yakima county
          Birdathon. Bravo!

          Andy