iron the culprate in pintail

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012

      I found a paper published in Wilson Bulletin in 1909 talking about the
      rusty stain in the feathers of wild ducks, and it was also found in
      pintails. All observations were in spring and when the birds forage in
      iron rich waters, the water dries on the feathers, the hydrogen is lost,
      and it forms the oxide or iron rust.

      Sure makes the ducks look cool though!

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima