  • Gregory Bohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2012
      Buenos días:

      While changing my flat-tire this morning (8:00am) I heard the mad voices of
      crows. I looked to the east and saw 4 crows chasing a large falcon that was
      calmly flying my way from the river. (I live next to the Boise-Cascade mill
      site) The crows were about 2/3 the size of the falcon. As it flew directly
      over me (the crows now gone) I saw that it was entirely gray underneath with
      a tail similar in shape to a Cooper’s hawk. Its wingbeats fairly slow and
      occasionally it would glide. It also was seen to “hover” for a few seconds
      at various intervals. It flew directly over the downtown Yakima at an
      altitude of approximately 250-300 feet.

      I am thinking that it was a gyrfalcon or a goshawk because of its size and
      rather bland coloration. Is there any falcon, other than the Kestrels, that
      hover?

      Would like some help from the more experienced crowd.

      Greg