Common Redpolls

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
      I was out in the Wenas today driving along North Wenas Road and Umptanum
      Roads checking out the snow levels to see if I could have access to any of
      my study areas. About .2 miles before the parking area for Umptanum Falls,
      I saw a flock of 44 Common Redpolls (maybe more but it was hard to count
      them) actively feeding on alder cones in the alder trees along Umptanum
      Creek. They were actively feeding and foraging and it was fun to watch
      them hanging and manipulating the alder cones. Eventually a Northern
      Shrike flew in and scattered the flock of redpolls. I think this is
      probably the same flock of redpolls reported late last year.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima