Tundra Swan P716 Back At TWR!!!

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011
      Yesterday was supposed to be our last day birding in 2011 but a friend called in the early evening to say she had seen about 20 Swans on the TWR ponds along with a jillion ducks in the afternoon. Add to that the fact that we got a pretty good look at a Bald Eagle in that area when we were there yesterday morning but my photos turned out blurry.
      It was all just enough to make me drag my daughter out of bed early this morning for a quick run down to TWR. Found the Bald Eagle in a better location for photos so took care of that and then photographed 35 Tundra Swans, including 7 juveniles on the ponds.
      When I got home and went through the photos I found one of the sleeping swans that I had not paid any real attention to had a blue neck collar and when zooming in on the computer I could just make out P716. I was stunned. I saw him at the TWR ponds on Dec. 4th and watched him fly off east along the ridge with his companion swans. We know those ponds have been frozen over and vacant until just a few days ago. Yesterday morning there were only about 150 ducks there and about a dozen geese--not a single swan. Records for him show he has been recorded wintering in CA and OR but not WA. But, even more amazing that he was reported as being at the TWR on Dec 31, 2010. So here he was exactly a year later at the same location.
      I decided to try for a better photo, so we got in the car and made another run down there. This time we found an additional 15 swans and yes, yes he was there so I was able to get good photos of him and that collar. I cannot wait to get an e-mail and photos off to the biologist who collared him. Sure was a wonderful way to end our first year of birding!
      The old rookie birder in White Swan, Linda