Topper at Toppenish

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2011

      Luke Safford and I did a fast paced preview of one of the Toppenish CBC
      routes today.

      We purposely drove through Toppenish to check for Topper, the adult
      Peregrine Falcon that has frequented water towers in that city.

      It was a bit foggy this morning but Topper was immediately identifiable on
      the horizontal braces just below the silver tank near the railroad
      tracks. The building there was labeled Toppenish Water Department. Topper was
      busily plucking breakfast with an occasional feather drifting down,

      Most of the standing water along Hwy 97 & Pumphouse Road is frozen; might
      be a lean count for waterfowl. We failed to come up with a single Goose in
      the route we checked. The hoary frost also made it very difficult to see
      birds in the leafless deciduous trees.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone