White Pelicans

  • Scott Ray
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23 9:44 PM
      This afternoon there were 9 adult white pelicans bucking the north wind over
      Donald, WA. I find that this species normally migrates on calm days,
      gliding from thermal to thermal with few wing beats. However, today the
      strong buffeting winds made this strategy impossible, forcing them down to
      just over the treetops, with laborious flapping.

      Scott

      """"""""""""""""""""""
      " Scott Ray "
      " Yakima, WA "
      " scray@... "
      """"""""""""""""""""""
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24 7:30 AM
        Scott,

        Were these over I-82? We missed em.

        Are you interested (available) to lead the Wenas group Birdathon route May
        11? As you might guess, we need help to beat last years 185.

        Andy
        > This afternoon there were 9 adult white pelicans bucking the north wind
        over
        > Donald, WA. I find that this species normally migrates on calm days,
        > gliding from thermal to thermal with few wing beats. However, today the
        > strong buffeting winds made this strategy impossible, forcing them down to
        > just over the treetops, with laborious flapping.
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > """"""""""""""""""""""
        > " Scott Ray "
        > " Yakima, WA "
        > " scray@... "
        > """"""""""""""""""""""

      • mryakima
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
          There were 14 White Pelicans soaring over south Zillah at 9am this
          morning. They appeared to be heading north.

          Scott Ray
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002

            At noon, there were 12 American White Pelicans soaring over the observation
            building at the Toppenish NWR. I use soaring loosely. They were circling as
            if trying to get a lift from a thermal but the strong winds were carrying
            them east at a good clip without letting them gain much altitude.

            Rich
          • Sue Ericksen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
              Yakkers,

              Last week, Tuesday, there were 40+ White Pelicans on a small island in the
              Yakima River upstream from the Donald-Wapato Road. Does anyone have an idea
              where they are nesting, or if they are nesting in Yakima County?

              Sue
              Sawyer

              At 09:08 PM 6/5/02 -0400, you wrote:
              >Chirp,
              >
              >At noon, there were 12 American White Pelicans soaring over the observation
              >building at the Toppenish NWR. I use soaring loosely. They were circling as
              >if trying to get a lift from a thermal but the strong winds were carrying
              >them east at a good clip without letting them gain much altitude.
              >
              >Rich

            • Sue Ericksen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2002
                The Common Nighthawks showed up, right on schedule, June 3rd.

                We also had a Yellow Warbler in our yard for a couple of days. Heard him
                first and was lucky enough to get a good look. After that it was heard
                only. That's a first for our yard.

                Our Kestrels have fledged - three boys and a girl. This was our ninth
                consecutive hatch since we put up the nest box.
              • Michael J Roper
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2003
                  I was passing over the Terrace Heights bridge yesterday morning when I
                  noticed 20-30 birds soaring in the distance to the south east. I pulled
                  off by N C Machinery to get a better look. I couldn't see any detail
                  since they were way off and back lit but the were white, soaring without
                  any noticeable wing movement and the silhouette was that of a Pelican. I
                  tried to drive closer but lost them. That's the first time I've seen
                  White Pelicans in the upper valley.
                  Mike Roper
                  Terrace Heights
                • Jeff Kozma
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2003
                    Mike,

                    I have seen them as far as the Wapato exit off of I-82, but late in the summer (July I
                    believe). I have never seen them up as far as you either.

                    Nice sighting.

                    Michael J Roper wrote:

                    > I was passing over the Terrace Heights bridge yesterday morning when I
                    > noticed 20-30 birds soaring in the distance to the south east. I pulled
                    > off by N C Machinery to get a better look. I couldn't see any detail
                    > since they were way off and back lit but the were white, soaring without
                    > any noticeable wing movement and the silhouette was that of a Pelican. I
                    > tried to drive closer but lost them. That's the first time I've seen
                    > White Pelicans in the upper valley.
                    > Mike Roper
                    > Terrace Heights

                    Jeff Kozma
                    TFW Wildlife Biologist
                    Yakama Nation
                    509-865-6262 ext. 6657

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
                      Yakkers,

                      There's lots of interest in the American White Pelicans which are
                      increasingly common and conspicuous summer visitors here. As far as I know,
                      these Yakima Valley pelicans are all non-breeders.

                      Scott Ray sent the following to Bird Yak July 28, 2004: Re: Pelican
                      movement:

                      "I suspect that the apparent range expansion of the Am White Pelican may be
                      the result of the decline of the effects of DDT in the environment. DDT
                      decimated Brown Pelicans along the west coast in the 50s and 60s. I recall
                      Brown Pelican being a hotline bird in the late 70s and early 80s at Ocean
                      Shores. Of course now they are abundant along the Washington Coast as post
                      or non-breeders.

                      Does anyone know of literature describing pre-DDT Am White Pelican
                      distribution? Were their eggs seriously affected by that chemical? Is their
                      mode of incubation similar to Brown Pelican which involves standing on the
                      eggs, securing them beneath the web of the 1st and rear toes, and thus
                      making them especially susceptible to breakage with DDT-thinned shells?"

                      Scott R a y

                      Yakima, WA

                      I wrote the following response to Scott, but first sent it on to Mike
                      Livingston, WDFW Biologist (Pasco) for his thoughts on this subject:

                      Hi Scott and Yakkers,

                      Scott, you are implying numbers of the American White Pelicans are
                      increasing and thus birds are forced, through resource limitations, to
                      search for new suitable habitat, both foraging areas and suitable remote
                      nesting sites. While DDT and its sister chemicals are banned from the United
                      States, they are still used in Mexico and other tropical countries where
                      some American White Pelicans winter. It is possible pelicans wintering in
                      these countries are picking up sufficient DDT to cause egg-shell thinning
                      that would preclude them from successful nesting when they return north.

                      I will offer another view on the apparent range expansion of American White
                      Pelicans into the Yakima Valley. I believe the American White Pelicans we're
                      observing in the Yakima Valley are actually wandering birds and
                      non-breeders. Apart from the several hundred nesting birds near Wallulla
                      (south of Pasco), the birds seen here may be part of the widespread
                      reduction and abandonment of the North American colonies of this species.
                      Drought has contracted many of their Great Basin foraging lakes, possibly
                      rendering them unsuitable for foraging by the pelican. Being long-lived
                      birds, non-breeding pelicans now seen with increasing frequency in the
                      Yakima Valley may be evidence of a serious problem with this species.

                      Here's the reply from Mike:

                      Andy,

                      Given the lack of information on Columbia Basin AWPE, I think your
                      explanation is as defensible a hypothesis as any other. One other possible
                      explanation that might be posed is that several years of successful
                      reproductive effort (due to DDT reduction or other reason?) at the Badger
                      Island colony has augmented the number of non-breeding "floaters" in the
                      area. Unfortunately, I'm woefully uneducated regarding AWPE distribution and
                      breeding locations within the greater Columbia and Great Basins.

                      Very interesting! I will try to keep you in the loop of our future
                      discussions.

                      Mike

                    • Joan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5 2:31 PM
                        Yesterday about 10 a.m.,we were lucky enough to spot 2 groups (~30, and ~10) of these majestic birds flashing in the sunshine in the area of I-82 exit 72, Prosser. Spring has truly begun!

                        Joan Walker
                        Prosser Washington

                      • Tyler Munson
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 20, 2008
                          Hey Guys, and gals, it's been forever since I've written anything, but... I was on my way to A Marine Corps Competition @ Fairchild AFB last saturday, and on the way there were dozens of white pelicans flying around over Sprague lake, and also just before entering Spokane. Here on the farm this year we have some Barn owls that decided to nest in the cottonwood tree, instead of the nest box, like they did previously. also there are kestrels in the kestrel box over the blueberries instead of starlings like last year. they chase off all the magpies, robins, and starlings that come too near, which is good because it means less blueberries will be eaten this year hopefully. Squirrels have taken over the small owl nestbox in the Fur tree this year, but maybe the GHO that comes through periodically will take care of them :)
                          nearly every evening, there are a bunch of redtails circling the farm, and there was a pair attempting to build a nest over the lower pond in the cottonwood grove, but so far it looks like they gave up and picked a different location. the feeders are thick with Goldfinches, and house finches, there are still one or 2 white crowns hanging around also, but most of them are gone now. I have a feeling that there will only be more pelicans to come, and that they will most likely establish bigger nesting colonies throughout the Yakima Valley, and other areas, just like Yellowstone, or the Columbia/snake rivers. anywho, you guys all have a great summer, I have to go to Spokane tonight yet again.

                          -Tyler Munson

                        • redeyed_coyote
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 26, 2012
                            While driving home on 82 E through Selah this afternoon I saw 2 American White Pelicans on one of the ponds about 1.5 miles before where the speed limit drops from 70mph to 60. They were the first I had seen this year.

                            Chris Baum
                            Naches