Unusual duck ad Priest Rapids today, plus YTC

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2011

      Bill Drenguis and I ventured out onto the Yakima Training Center, then on
      to Priest Rapids today. The primary focus of our search was for Snowy
      Owls. We didn't find any. We drive up to the top of Hog Ranch Butte, then
      headed east on the ridge top. We flushed two Sage Grouse that were beside
      the road and a handful of Horned Larks.

      We then went down to Priest Rapids and drove north along the west side of
      the river to the county line. We drove home on the main road through the
      YTC stopping many times to scan the ridges for white blobs.

      The highlights of the day, other then the Sage Grouse, were at Priest
      Rapids. We found three White-winged Scoter, one male and two females.
      Just past the county line were two Trumpeter Swans and two Greater
      White-fronted Geese.

      We found a duck we could not identify. It was about the side of a
      Bufflehead. Its head, back and rump were black except for large white
      patches on the sides of its head. The sides and breast were white. A
      photo of it is in the new photos folder on my website:

      http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/newphotos

      If you have any ideas on the ID of this duck, please e-mail me. I think it
      was probably a hybrid.

      Here is the list:

      YTC:
      Sage Grouse - 2
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk - 2
      American Kestrel - 5
      Long-eared Owl - 2
      Northern Shrike - 4
      Common Raven - 5
      Horned Lark - 4

      Priest Rapids:
      Trumpeter Swan - 2
      Greater White-fronted Goose - 2
      Canada Goose
      Mallard
      Gadwall
      American Wigeon
      Redhead - 2
      Canvasback
      Lesser Scaup
      Greater Scaup
      Common Goldeneye
      White-winged Scoter - 2
      Bufflehead
      Ruddy Duck - the most I have ever seen at Priest Rapids
      California Quail
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Bald Eagle
      Common Loon
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Horned Grebe
      Western Grebe
      American Coot
      Belted Kingfisher - 2 chasing each other over the water
      Lincoln's Sparrow
      Song Sparrow
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Golden-crowned Sparrow