Re: [BirdYak] Wintering hummers

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2011
      Hi Sandy and Yakkers,

      Anna's Hummingbirds come into the valley from Western Washington in the
      fall, find a feeder or two and try to make it through our cold winter.
      Some people hang lights, like a shop light, near the feeder or in a nearby
      bush so the hummer can keep warm from the heat of the light. I have talked
      to several people the past few winters who have two feeders. They bring
      them both in the house at night so they won't freeze, then hang one out as
      early as possible in the morning. They watch the feeder and when it starts
      to freeze, they bring it in and put the other one out.

      It takes some work and care to help a hummingbird survive the winter in the
      Yakima area. It your hummingbirds make it until the Christmas Bird Counts,
      it would be nice if one of our groups could stop by your house, if it is in
      the count circle, to get your hummers on the count.

      Denny Granstrand

      On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM, sandy.wasson <romanylabs@...> wrote:

      > We usually take down hummingbird feeders in late October, but have a pair
      > still hanging around. Continuing to feed them, any other suggestions on
      > helping them make it through the winter here?

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com

      www.granstrand.net/gallery/