light phase rough-legged hawk

  • Gregory Bohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2011
      To all:

      Saturday afternoon, Elizabeth and I went directly to Hanford main gate (Hwy
      24) and then slowly worked our way back toward the Silver Dollar café and
      Moxee. At milepost 27 we saw a loggerhead shrike on a barbed wire fence
      (about 30 ft away) who kept flying down into the sagebrush and then back up
      to fence. We saw several red-tailed hawks (8) and ravens (20+). Also an
      immature bald eagle feasting among a bunch of cow-calves. The highlight,
      was a light phase rough-legged hawk at milepost 22. It’s head was entirely
      almost white, with a brown streak passing form the eye backwards. Also saw
      a group of 20-30 horned larks on the valley north of the abandoned quanset
      hut (MP 27).

      Greg Bohn