Rimrock Lake Gull-orama-2

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2011
      Yakkers,

      Denny Granstrand and I headed to Rimrock Lake at Noon for a short gull
      viewing trip. While we were out there Rich and Elizabeth Bohn showed up.
      Gull were dispersed but numerous. THAYER'S and WESTERN GULL were our best
      finds in the gull clan. In the nearby waters, a PACIFIC LOON gave us good
      scope views plus the other grebes and ducks noted below. High over Russell
      Ridge to the north I spied numerous ravens cartwheeling in the winds, and
      several GOLDEN EAGLES, one accompanied by a small Accipiter, which I took to
      be a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

      Here's my list:

      Bufflehead 10
      Hooded Merganser 4
      Common Merganser 30
      Pacific Loon 1
      Horned Grebe 1
      Western Grebe 2
      Bald Eagle 2
      Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
      Golden Eagle 2
      Ring-billed Gull 3
      Western Gull 1 Ground color of this very large 1st-year gull very dark
      brown with a dark, massive bill. Primaries very dark brown, not black. Of
      course no guarantee it was not a hybrid but a gull plumaged as this on the
      central Oregon coast termed a Western by most good gull observers.
      Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 7
      California Gull 250
      Herring Gull 5
      Thayer's Gull 2 One bird an adult (bubble-gum pink legs, slight
      dove-like head profile, dark eye, slender, not bulging bill profile). One
      bird a nicely checkered 1st-year (contrasty primaries, slight, dark bill.
      Head profile tending to dove-like).
      Glaucous-winged Gull 3
      Steller's Jay 1
      American Crow 1